A die-formed three-piece button with separate fitted wire
shank; circular; hollow; convex front; flat back; machine-crimped joint;
simple looped shank; a fouled anchor with crown above, encircled by the
legend, ROYAL MARINES LIGHT INFANTRY, all within a wreath; backmarked,
FIRMIN & SONS LONDON. A military uniform button of the 'Royal Marines
Light Infantry'. The Marines, originally known as 'H.M. Marine Forces',
were formed in 1755. There was a name change in 1802 to 'Royal Marines',
and another in 1855, when they became the 'Royal Marines Light Infantry'.
(In 1862 the name was slightly altered to Royal Marine Light Infantry. but
the 's' was apparently not dropped from the buttons.) The next name change
occurred in 1923, when they became the 'Corps of Royal Marines'. The
present button will therefore date to the period 1855-1923.